Skip to main content
scroll to top

Forms and Fees

Using the proper form is critical to processing your court action.  Often more than one form will be needed to process your case. Many forms need to be signed in front of a notary public.  Also be aware of the implications of signing a form.  You may want to check with a lawyer before putting your signature on a document.

Forms by Court

Icon of two pieces of paper overlapping.

Filling out a form

Most NHJB forms are also capable of being completed electronically when saved and OPENED in Adobe Reader which provides full PDF functionality. Internet browsers such as Edge, Chrome and Firefox, or devices such as cell phones and tablets, may not support all PDF functions in a NHJB form.

You can use the TAB key to navigate the form from field to field and keying data into each field. With Adobe Reader OLDER than XI, you cannot save the completed (or partially completed) form to electronic media. If you are using Adobe Reader XI or NEWER you can complete (or partially complete) a form and save it. You can print the form with any version when complete. Forms that are not yet in a fillable format will be placed in that format in the future. A list of free PDF readers for different operating systems can be found here.


You can get information regarding the accessibility of Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files from Adobe.


  • Some cases require that you pay a fee to start or reopen the case. Certain other court actions also require payment of a fee. 
  • If you cannot afford a court fee, you may ask the court to pay less or file for free.
  • The fee amount will vary depending on the type of case. Fee "schedules" are published in the court rules.
  • Fees may be paid with cash, money order and personal check.
    • Check or Money Order is payable to the specific court: EXAMPLE:  1st Circuit - Family Division – Lancaster 
      If you wish to pay with a credit card, please attach a note to your filing, include your phone number and the court will call you to take your payment over the phone. The court accepts MasterCard, Visa or Discover.

What to do if you cannot afford to pay a filing fee

  • If you cannot afford a filing fee, you may ask the court to pay less or file for free.
  • If you want to pay less or file for free, you must file a motion (a written request) with the court asking to pay a lower fee or file for free. You may be required to provide information about your financial situation.
  • The court provides a motion form, either in paper or electronic format, for you to use to ask to pay less or file for free. In most cases, you also have to attach a financial statement to the motion. Click here to find the right form. 
  • You may also get the correct form by visiting the courthouse where your case is being heard.
  • If you need help asking for a lower fee or to file for free, you can call the court’s information center at 1-855-212-1234 between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday – Friday, or go to the courthouse.
  • In order to avoid delays in starting your case or processing your request, you should file your motion at the same time as you file your case or other request for court action.

Filing Fees by Court

Information Icon

Notice regarding e-filing forms

Notice regarding e-filing forms

Google Chrome users should review the What You Need to Know Before e-Filing document before filling out a court form.