Skip to main content
scroll to top

NH Bar Admissions

Information Icon

July 2022 bar examination: Please be advised that New Hampshire intends to administer an in-person bar examination in July 2022. The location will be announced at a later date. The exam procedures will be governed by public health protocols in effect at the time of the examination.

New Hampshire Supreme Court Rule 42 governs admission to the New Hampshire bar. It provides four ways for a person to become a member of the bar: (I) by examination; (II) by motion without examination; (III) by transferred Uniform Bar Examination ("UBE") score; and (IV) after completion of the Daniel Webster Scholar Honors Program. Admissions are also governed by New Hampshire Board Bar Examiner regulations.


See our Frequently Asked Questions page for answers to common questions. If you need additional information, please contact Sherry M. Hieber, General Counsel, at or by calling (603) 224-8806.

Completed applications to the New Hampshire bar, and the necessary fee, should be sent to:

Sherry M. Hieber
General Counsel
New Hampshire Supreme Court Office of Bar Admissions
4 Chenell Drive, Suite 102
Concord, New Hampshire 03301

Information for Military Spouses and Veterans

Spouses of active military personnel assigned to New Hampshire may seek waiver of strict compliance with the duration of practice requirements of the rules governing admission by motion without examination and admission by transferred UBE score. Military spouses interested in the wavier should contact Sherry Hieber at the Office of Bar Admissions. Military veterans may be eligible to be reimbursed for fees related to the New Hampshire Bar examination. For information about this benefit, please contact:

Jeffrey S. Newman
Administrator I Veteran Education Services
Tel: (603) 271-8508